Re: Large object security - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Damon Cokenias
Subject Re: Large object security
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At 12:11 PM +0200 4/19/02, Mario Weilguni wrote:
>would'nt it be much better to expand pg_largeobject to have another column "src_oid" (or similar), containing the OID
ofthe referencing table from pg_class, and when accessing large objects take the privilieges from the referencing
class?

It's possible that several tables could reference the same object.  And besides, I don't think postgres can tell the
differencebetween a column that contains a large object id and a plain old integer.

Also, I don't think table-level permissions are flexible enough to be truly useful.  What if I want certain objects to
bevisible only to certain users, but I want all objects to be referenced from the same table?  I can enforce row-level
securityon the table with a view. I'd like the same level of flexibility for large objects.

Another thought: What if I want to restrict access to large objects based on size or timestamp?

-Damon